Saturday, August 24, 2013

Thurs July 18th, to the ship

So  a  3:30  wake  up  call  to  leave for  the  airport  at  5.   They  are  building  a  more  direct  road  to  the  airport  but  for  now  it  takes  about  an  hour.  Usual  security  procedures  and  DUH  when I  packed  I  put the  bag  with  my  knife  and  sewing  kit  in  my  carry  on.   It  went  thru  Xray  and  I  was  about  to   grab  it  when  security  beat  me  to  it  and  sent  it  back  thru.  Then  they  started  digging.   One  look  at  the  knife  and  "no es  possible".   Okay,  but  did  they  have  to take  my  little  blunt  nose scissors , my needles  and  thread,  and  5  safety  pins???? And  they  left  the cork screw.   What?   A  quick hop to  Guayacil, the  largest  city  in  Ecuador.  It is a  coastal town and  a  major  center of  business  and  industry.  Then  our  flight  to Baltra   took about  an  hour   and  a half.   There is nothing  on  Baltra  except  an  airstrip   built   by  the  US  in WW2  and  a  dock  for  the cruise ships.    The  ships  are  too  big  to  come  to the dock, even   the   Legend  which  only  holds  100 people,  so  they  ferried us over  on  the dingies.   I   think  keeping   the  dock small  is  part  of the  total   conservation effort  in   the islands.  

After lunch  they   took  us  out in  the dingies to  Black Turtle Cove  on  Santa  Cruz  Island.   The   cove  is  mostly   mangroves  with some  holy  stick  trees.  The  holy stick trees look dead most of the time but during  the   rainy   season   they  will   sprout   a  few  leaves.  We  saw  lots  of  pelicans,  it  is so  cool  to  watch them  cruise  along  then dive  straight  down  after  a  fish.  We  saw  a  couple  of  small  sharks,   a  group   of  rays   and 2  sea  turtles mating.  After  we  got  back,  had  a briefing for  the  next day  and  had  dinner,  I  was  done. 

I  have  been  lucky  so far  on  this  trip,  I  have  felt  pretty  well  the whole  time.  But  as soon as  we   touched  down in  Quito I could  feel  the  effects  of  the   altitude.   I   had   a  nagging headache   that   was  tolerable   with   tylenol,  but   never   really  went  away.  Here in the  galapagos  of  course,  we   are  at  sea  level  and  I have  felt  fine.  No  problems   with the  motion of   the  boat   and  no   adverse  problems  from  the  food and drink.   Only   I   am  tired  because we  get up  early   and   go from  one  activity  to  the  next  all  day  long. 


No comments:

Post a Comment