Saturday, August 24, 2013

Friday July 19th

 At 6:45 this morning  a sweet voice  came  over the loud speaker in our room.....ladies and gentlemen, buenos  dias,  this  is  your  wake up call.   Breakfast  will start   at 7  o'clock.   After  a very  nice  breakfast buffet,  we headed  up to the  moon deck  to  collect  our  wet  suits  and  snorkel  equipment.   At  8:15   we  started  out  in the pangas (dingy or  zodiac)  and  took a short trip to  Santiago  Island.  This  one  had volcanic activity  about  200  years   ago   and  we   walked  on  the volcanic rock.   Wow,  everywhere  you  can  see how  the  lava   flowed,   the  crust cooled and the  most   wonderful designs  were created  that  hardened  into  rock.  There  are  lots of places,  big  and   small,  where  the gases  were  trapped  beneath the  crust,  then erupted  to  the  surface.  There  are  also  fissures of all  sizes.   We  did  a dry  landing,  they  drove the panga up to  the  shore  and  we  climbed  out  on the rocks   and  walked   around.  We  saw  lava  herons  and  sally  lightfoot  crabs.   The  crabs  were  named  for  a famous  Cuban  fan  dancer.  We  saw  a  couple  marine  iguanas  and   2  penguins   swimming.   We   walked   all  over ,   saw   a small   ground  cover  type  plant  that  was  one  of  the  first  to  appear   on  the volcanic  rock  and  a  lava   cactus.   The   cactus  lives  on the minerals in the  rock,  produces  a  flower and a small  fruit  but  only  lives  2 or 3  years  before it exhausts the nutrients in the rock face  and dies.   We   went back  to  the ship,  got our  snorkeling gear  and went  back  to Santiago.   We  hopped  off the  panga   and  swam  along the  shore.   I  saw  a   small   shark, some  star  fish,  sea  urchins  and  lots  of  smaller  fish. We  saw  a  pretty good  size  sea  lion  settling down  for  a  nap  in  the  sun. After  snorkeling,  back   to  the  boat  for  lunch.   The naturalists  work so  hard  to minimize  the impact  of   people on  the islands. They  only  take people  to about   5%  of  the  total  area  of  the Galapagos.  The pangas hold  16  people  and  each  group  has a  naturalist.  We  were  told  not  to touch or  get  too close to any  of  the  animals, not  to take anything  away   and  not  to  leave   anything   behind.   Even  if  you  NEED TO PEE,  they  will  take  you back  to  the  ship.   They  work   very  hard  to  keep   things  pristine,  on  the  ship  we  each  get  one water bottle   that   we  use  and  refill  for  the whole   trip.   No  paper  goes  in  the  toilets,  they  have  a   water  treatment  facility  on  board.   No  paper  towels   or  napkins.  The  food  has  been  pretty   good,  this  morning  our  waiter  Javier  found  me  some  peanut  butter.  We've   had   lots  of  fruits and  veggies   and   good  breads.

 A Magical   afternoon.  Friday   afternoon  we took  a dingy  ride  to  Rabida  island,   lots  of  silica  and  iron  ore in  the  volcanic soil  so  the  rocks  and  beaches   are  very  red.  Indira,  our  naturalist,   explained about  the  tectonic plates  in  the Galapagos.  The  islands were  all  created  by  volcanic hot  spots that  are  still  active.   Last   eruption   was  3-4  years  ago.  The  first islands were created millions of years ago and  the early  ones  have  drifted east on  the  tectonic plate and newer islands  were created in  the  west.  The  older  ones  have  developed  vegetation  and  support  more  wild  life.  The  newer ones   support less plant and  animal  life.   But  unlike   tectonic  plates  that  rise  up   when   they  collide  (like  the  Rockies) ,here  the  plate   that  the  Galapagos  ride on is sliding under the  plate  to  the   east.  So  in  more  millions  of  years the  eastern islands will  begin to disappear.  Riding in the dingy  along  the  coast of Rabida we  saw  several  Blue Footed Boobies, some  were  fishing  and  a  few  were  in  nests  in  the  trees.  There  were  prickly  pear  cactus ,   yellow  warblers ,   marine  iguanas,  nazca Boobies,  pelicans,  and   a  great  blue  heron.   We  landed  on  the  beach   to do some  more snorkeling   and  the  most  marvelous  thing happened.   There  was  a large   group  of  sea lions  on  the  beach.  Because  no one   disturbs   them,  they  just hung out   and  pretty   much  ignored  us.  

 We   walked  among   them,  mostly  they  were  snoozing,  some  with their  heads  laying on  another  one BUT several females  had young with them that were   nursing.  We   were   able  to  get  so  close,   it   was   amazing,  I  got   a little   verklempt.  Some   people   had   brought their   snorkel gear  (I  was too  pooped)  and  there   were   sea  lions   in the  water   that  swam and  played  around   them.  There  were  some marine   iguanas  and   sally   light  foot  crabs  on  the  shore,  I  got   to observe  a  couple  very  close  up.

 While  we  were  on  shore  with  the  sea  lions   I noticed  holes  in  the sand  surrounded  by  little  balls  of  sand.  I  asked Indira and she  explained  that  the  ghost  crabs  dig  the  holes and hide in them, then  when   the  tide   comes  in they scoop  up   the sand in  their  claws   and   turn  it  around   to  eat  all  the  little   organisms  and  it  creates  these perfect little round balls of sand.

   At  one  point   a  fairly   large  male sea lion   came  up   out  of the water  squawking at  us.   We  learned  that  he   is  probably   the  dominant male in  that  group  and  the  sea lions  we  had  seen  on  their  own in different  places  are  the  adolescent  males,  who  got  chased  off  and will  hope  to  create their  own  little  harem  next  year.  I got so close to the nursing mamas  I  could   see  their  navels.  They  had  4  nipples  and  the pups went  from  one  to the  next  until  they  seemed  satisfied.  Their fins  are incredible,   they  have bones  or cartilage   that  resembles fingers  that  support  the webbing.  They   have  short  tails  that  look  almost prehensile.  To  be  that  close to such  a  large   group  is  beyond   explanation.   I am  thankful that everyone  works  so hard to maintain   this treasure and  that  I  have gotten a chance  to see it.   2 more days to  go.



No comments:

Post a Comment